Our first recipe is Quinoa Black Bean Burritos, an easy-to-prepare dish that is delicious and satisfying. Even my non-vegan dad liked it! It made more than enough to feed three hungry folks with enough leftover for today's lunch.
(Disclaimer: This is not our recipe; the credit for this recipe belongs to tessbegg on YouTube.)
1 minced garlic
1 brown onion, diced*
4 T. tomato paste
2 t. cumin powder
2 t. chili powder
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
1 c. quinoa, rinsed
1 1/2 c. vegetable broth
1 c. capsicum (bell pepper) -- we used red bell pepper
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
*NOTE: We used a sweet yellow onion since we didn't have a brown onion. In researching brown onions we determined that the yellow onion with which we are familiar is the American equivalent of the brown onion used in other countries.
1. Measure out ingredients.
2. Saute diced onion and garlic with a splash of water until translucent.
3. Add in tomato paste and spices. Stir until combined.
4. Add in quinoa and veggie broth. Stir until combined on medium heat and bring to gentle boil. Cover, reduce temperature and simmer on low heat for 25 minutes or until the liquid has absorbed.
5. In a separate pan, saute capsicum with some salt on high heat.
6. Add in the black beans and capsicum. Stir to combine.
While quinoa and black beans are simmering, make guacamole by mashing an avocado and seasoning to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Serve quinoa and black bean mixture on wrap or tortilla of choice and garnish with lettuce, tomato, and guacamole. Muy delicioso!
Let the fiesta begin!
Copyright 2016-2017 by Dee Dee Wike and Joy Wike. All rights reserved. www.feelingveggiegood.com